Company: Carolinas Center for Oral & Facial Surgery
Location: Rock Hill
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Job DescriptionPosition: Surgical AssistantReports to: Clinical
Supervisor/Office ManagerDirect Reports: NoneFLSA status:
Non-Exempt PURPOSEThe Surgical Assistant's primary responsibilities
include performing patient care activities as a member of the
surgical team, taking and developing x-ray films, cleaning,
packaging, sterilizing, and storing supplies, instruments, and
equipment. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS1. Supports the philosophy, goals,
and objectives of the Practice.1.1. Supports, and performs
according to, approved policies and procedures.1.2. Supports risk
management and participates in programs directed to patient and
staff safety.1.3. Considers patient rights in performance of job
duties and responsibilities.1.4. Contributes to the quality
management process; identifies role and contributions upon request.
2. Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job
duties and responsibilities.2.1. Reports observed or suspected
violations, hazards, and noncompliance according to Practice
policy.2.2. Observes safety measures in performance of job duties
and responsibilities.2.3. Responds to emergency situations with
competence and composure. 3. Communicates effectively with
patients, visitors, physicians, and co‑workers.3.1. Interactions
are respectful and courteous.3.2. Objectively evaluates
suggestions, grievances, and processes to identify opportunities to
improve performance and quality of care or seeks further guidance,
as needed.3.3. Communicates effectively and professionally using a
translator when necessary.3.4. Documents that information received
from the patient is disseminated to the appropriate people or
departments. 4. Responds in a timely manner to meet the needs of
the patient and the physician.4.1. Documents patient care records
and other forms according to Practice policy.4.2. Communicates
information about the patient's status to others responsible for
- Accurately comprehends, interprets, and documents verbal orders
- Performs assisting duties and responsibilities.
- Reviews schedule at least one week in advance and prepares as
necessary (make sure implants, abutments, splints, stents, etc. are
available at the appropriate office).
- Assists doctors with surgical procedures (extractions,
biopsies, implants, bone grafts, etc.); suction, irrigation, pass
instruments, cut sutures, etc.
- Performs office procedures as directed (remove surgical
splints, fit splints, remove sutures, place packs, etc.).
- Prepares patient and room set-up for appropriate
- Reviews post-op instructions with surgery patients.
- Reviews charts/paperwork before doctor sees patient; completes
- Helps in workroom and with restocking clinical supplies.
- Utilizes computer system (time clock, reviewing schedules,
scheduling appointments, using e-mail, etc.).
- Reports any damaged equipment discovered during routing
cleaning or use.
- Complies with all OSHA and office policies and procedures.
- Other duties as directed. KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery experience (preferred)
- Demonstrated understanding of sterilization principles
- CPR certification required
- NC dental x-ray certification (preferred)
- Oral & Maxillofacial Anesthesia Assisting Program completion
- Problem solver and self-directed
- High degree of professionalism and professional image
- Strong and effective communication and platform skills
- Positive attitude, change advocate, lead by example,
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Independent decision-making skills, sound judgment
- Strong initiative and able to exercise sound judgement WORK
- Requires constant and frequent judgment and response. Requires
language skills for communication in American English.
- Requires high-level visual and auditory acuity for timely
response and patient care activities.
- Requires the ability to move quickly in response to physician
and patient needs, the ability to sit or stand for long periods,
occasional overhead, and low reaching, bending, and the ability to
exert force of up to 50 lbs. occasionally, up to 20 lbs. frequently
and/or up to 10 lbs. constantly. Patient care activities may
require the ability to exert force of up to 30 pounds constantly,
40 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds rarely.
- Category I exposure to bloodborne pathogens; frequent exposure
to chemical hazards; may encounter radiation hazards.
Keywords: Carolinas Center for Oral & Facial Surgery, Rock Hill , Surgical Assistant, Healthcare , Rock Hill, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!