Senior Payroll Specialist
Company: Electric Power Research Institute
Posted on: July 12, 2021
Senior Payroll Specialist
Charlotte, NC, Palo Alto, CA
Job Summary and Description:
Supervises the payroll function and processes in compliance with
internal control requirements. Ensures payroll accounting
transactions are accurate, properly processed and properly
maintained in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system and
other systems as required. Uses judgment and analytical
skills in problem-solving. Measures department performance
and drives for improved results.
- Supervises the processing of payroll data.
- Oversees the distribution of paychecks or arranges direct
- Prepares for signature quarterly tax returns for federal, state
and FICA, as well as for other-states payrolls.
- Maintains payroll records, logs and files in accordance with
Institute policies and state and federal laws and regulations.
- Supervises and coordinates year-end processing of payroll,
including supplemental payrolls, W-2 and other tax forms, and other
government required documentation.
- Processes payroll check exceptions and court-ordered
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross
payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, etc.) for
- Performs various journal entries, account reconciliations, and
provides General Ledger support.
- Enforces established payroll related policies and
- Ensures timely reporting and payment of the employer’s and
employees’ withholding taxes and miscellaneous withholdings to
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations,
streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to
provide high quality customer service.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and
hour laws. Facilitates management and employee understanding
of payroll requirements and procedures.
- Knowledgeable in a variety of payroll concepts, practices and
procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to
plan and accomplish goals. Must be able to plan and manage
multiple projects contemporaneously.
- This position is responsible for managing the communication and
relationship with the payroll service provider (currently
- This position also has a lead role in supporting the
timekeeping processes and functionality in the ERP system
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business required,
or equivalent relevant work experience
- Minimum 7 years payroll experience required
- ERP system knowledge required
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook; payroll
systems; enterprise resource planning systems)
- Knowledge of Workday HRMS is strongly preferred
- Certified Payroll Professional designation preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
Skills and Attributes:
- Confidentiality and discretion
- Sound business judgment
- Attention to detail
- Prioritizing work
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Additional Job Information:
Accounting experience and demonstrated analytical skills highly
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by
the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security
Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status
of new hires by comparing information from the employee's I-9 form
against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.
Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please
indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S.
visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.
EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/Disabled
Together . . . Shaping the Future of Electricity.
Keywords: Electric Power Research Institute, Rock Hill , Senior Payroll Specialist, Other , Sharon, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!