Manager, Data Science & Analytics - Supply Chain
Company: Ross Stores
Location: Rock Hill
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Welcome to Ross Stores, Inc., where our differences make us
stronger--- At Ross and dd's, inclusion is a way of life. We care
about our Associates and the communities we serve and we value
their differences. We are committed to building diverse teams and
an inclusive culture. We respect and celebrate the diversity of
backgrounds, identities, and ideas of those who work and shop with
us. Come join us as we continue our diversity, equality and
inclusion journey!GENERAL PURPOSE:
The Manager of Data Science & Analytics will be responsible for
elevating the analytical capabilities within the Ross Supply Chain
and leading sophisticated analysis in support of strategic projects
and senior executives. Drives analytic excellence by identifying
and adopting new analytical methodologies and increasing business
access to data. An integral part of the business, helping to drive
decision making, execution and assessment through rigorous
analysis. Expected to focus on project-based (and ad hoc) work
supporting key strategic priorities for the business. Works in
close partnership with the Engineering team and other
cross-functional partners. Will keep current with the latest
academic research in data science and identify new business
opportunities that can be solved using machine learning.
- Perform practical, action oriented, & comprehensive data
analysis to diagnose business problems, optimize business
approaches and measure impact - supporting multiple functions.
- Lead analytics for select cross-functional initiatives (e.g.
region split, new format improvement, roll-out strategy for new
business opportunities). This will require working closely with
areas like Marketing, Planning, Store Operations, DCs and
- Play the role of "Subject Matter Expert" for analytics on these
- Flexibly support different types of analysis (e.g. manipulating
large data sets, building models, statistical analysis), leveraging
understanding of the off-price business/Ross/dd's to drive insights
- Independently summarize and communicate insights and
recommendations with business partners.
- Drive analytic excellence
- Independently identify opportunities for better data access,
build roadmap for advanced analytics at Ross, understand the
requirements, and get leadership support.
- Keep abreast of new analytical /statistical methodologies or
capabilities, e.g. through annual conversations with vendors, or ad
hoc investigation when new analysis requires new techniques.
- Recommend upgrades or external trainings as needed.
- Adopt new technologies and/or methodologies and train others on
- Lead the build out of advanced data capabilities at Ross, while
effectively communicating and partnering with the appropriate
- Communicate analytics and recommendations in an
easy-to-understand way (written and verbal)
- Develop compelling materials to communicate results of analysis
and key insights.
- Ad hoc support
- Become the point person / subject matter expert for ad hoc
questions from cross-functional business partners.
- Problem Solving
- Technical/Functional Skills
- Business Acumen
- Technical Learning
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Peer Relationships/Collaboration
- Learning on the Fly
- Drive for results
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Top-tier college degree, plus MBA or Master's degree in a
- Minimum 5 years post college experience, with experience in
analytical positions. Relevant retail/Supply Chain experience
- Outstanding analytical ability: Must have a data driven
approach to solving problems. Requires very strong quantitative
skills and a good sense of how to structure problems.
- Project Management: Must be able to set priorities between
multiple projects and deadlines, and keep senior team updated
- Detail-oriented approach: Must have very close attention to
details and the drive to get things right.
- Strong fundamental business skills (especially analytic): must
be experienced in SQL, Power BI and/or Tableau, Excel and
PowerPoint, plus at least one large data mining tool or statistical
programming language (e.g. SPSS, Python, R).
- Clear understanding of basic financial, statistical and
- Advanced financial and statistical modeling skills and database
- Teamwork/Communication: Needs to be able to build effective
working relationships across the organization. Must be able to
listen, understand, and communicate with executives at all levels
of the company. Must be able to translate data analyses into
recommendations in a clear, understandable way.
- Experience with statistical analysis, regression modeling, data
mining, and machine learning
Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on
Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the
telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with
Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and
responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be
a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and
responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management's
Ross is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider
individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills,
abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part
of the Company's overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a
strong, talented and diverse workforce. Ross is committed to
complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based
on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry,
physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes
pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related
to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status,
military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status,
medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics),
genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by
federal, state or local laws.
Keywords: Ross Stores, Rock Hill , Manager, Data Science & Analytics - Supply Chain, Professions , Rock Hill, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!